Monday, November 21, 2011

Pie Crust 101

There are many things that my grandmother made when I was a child that I love, but there are a few things that stick in my head as my favorites and one of my favorites is her fresh apple pie. It's one of the few things in my life that I know I can count on to come out perfectly every time and taste amazing to boot. The key is to use FRESH FRUIT! Don't skimp out and get lazy and use canned fruits. It's ok in a pinch, but your family and friends will be talking always about how amazing your pies are! How you took the time to make it instead of picking up a pie from the bakery department at the local supermarket.
So here is the easiest crust in the world :)
   ~there are actual measurements here, so please follow them. Pastry baking is a science and one little oops and the entire thing is ruined

5 Cups flour (I sift it twice, Mama doesn't. I find that it makes the crust silky and so much easier to mix)
1 egg and enough COLD water to make 1 Cup (drop the egg in the measuring cup then add water to make a cup) and add 2 tsp vinegar
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tsp salt
1/2 C COLD cubed butter
1 Cup shortening (use the butter flavor and use the sticks. Tastes better and it's so much easier to measure!!) 1 tsp baking powder
Sift the dry ingredients together and add the wet and blend til its kinda sandy looking like, turn it out on to a floured surface and pack it together make sure it's all combined then wrap it up in plastic wrap and chill for about 1 hour. Roll it out thin, fold it over in half, roll out thin again and fold it over in half. Do this about 8 times to make the flakiest crust. Don't skip this step, you will be surprised at how crazy your crust will be!

Mama says that this is enough to make 4 or 5 pies, but I find that it makes 2, each with a top crust.

Now if you want to make this an apple pie, you peel enough apples to fill the crust and cut into wedges and mix with 1 cup of flour and a tbs of cinnamon and a cup of sugar. Put 1 tbs of flour at the bottom of the crust BEFORE you put the apples in, then you will dot the top of the apples (after you put them in the crust) with a little bit of butter and you are going to bake it at 350 til it's bubbly. I find that once you start to smell the pie in the far reaches of your house and your mouth is watering, it's done! Let it cool down a bit before enjoying it. You don't want to kill your tastebuds before this one!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment