Sunday, November 20, 2011

Lost. Recipes hanging out with the missing socks?

I tell you. It seems like every time I write down a recipe, it gets lost somewhere. Life has brought me 1,000 miles away from my family and their home cooked meals and desserts and with my lack of orginizational skills, I have lost most of the scraps of paper that I have written recipes down on! So in order to keep them in a safe place and maybe to discover and share some new recipes and maybe make some people smile with my silly stories, I have decided to start a blog. Hope you all like it and I will start this out with my mom's amazing BBQ sauce. I swear its like a meal in and of itself!
This is super easy! You take 1 medium onion, chopped and sautee it til the onion is translucent. Add a bottle of ketchup, a bit of yellow mustard (a few large squeezes), a bit of cayenne pepper (to taste), salt and pepper (again to taste), worchester sauce (I like a lot in there because it balances it all out), cider vinegar (again, I like a lot in there becuase it rounds everything out), brown sugar (about 1/2 a cup), a cup of water (this is a thin sauce) and mix it all up and let it simmer on the stove for a bit. Add some chopped celery (medium pieces, you want the celery to be cooked, but still crispy) and simmer for about 20 minutes.
We don't usually measure things out (as you can tell lol), but it seems to turn out better if you just feel the ingredients when you are cooking. I love this sauce on grilled pork chops. It keeps in the fridge for months (thanks to the vinegar!)
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving week!

No comments:

Post a Comment